Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This post is about the weather

We had about two and a half days of very nice sunny weather. It was warm but not too warm because of the cool breeze that came through every couple minutes. Then, yesterday afternoon, a blizzard came through. That morning, I had bundled up because the forecast said there will be a 70% chance of snow at 11. Turns out it didn't, and I ended up sweating as I walked home from class at 12. I was a bit annoyed at the false promise of snow that had caused me discomfort, but then I felt better when that blizzard hit. I don't particularly like the snow. In fact, I hate it. I would choose 110 F over 10 F any day, but since it snowed, I could say to myself, "The storm just came late. It could have snowed on my way home," as opposed to if it didn't snow, I'd just be annoyed because I bundled up for nothing.

My roommate had every reason to be annoyed with the weather. He works at Cabella's about 30 minutes north of where we live. Last night, he got off work at 8 but had been snowed in until 11 and didn't get home until around 11:45. He owns a diesel car and had to fuel up as well but the only station that had diesel was packed with cars. He says, that last night, it looked like a nuclear bomb had hit with the wind blowing snow across the barren fields filled with stationary cars. Apparently, it looked pretty freaky, and it probably did.

It's funny that I say it was warm, though, because it was about 35 F those two days. That is in no way anything close warm where I'm from. In Los Angeles, people put on a sweater, a coat, boots, and gloves once the temperature hits 50 F. Until I left and learned of the terrors on less than 50 degree weather (God forbid), I didn't understand what people were talking about when they said southern California is lucky to have such nice weather. After all, in high school, my friends and I would huddle close in the mornings until school started. I've since acclimated to these colder temperatures and now consider 10 F to be cold, not freezing.

I'm not sure if it's better that I won't take Californian weather for granted anymore now that I have an idea about what real cold is all about or that I never had to deal with freezing temperatures before I came to Utah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My college has awful temperatures! Waking up to the Weather Channel saying it's 9 degrees out but it feels like -2 makes me want to curl up and die.