Thursday, December 20, 2007

The meaning of life


It snowed a good amount today. I'd say a couple inches. My friend, Jory, while coming off the I-15, got into a car wreck. Two cars hit the car behind him, which hit him, causing him to hit the car in front of him. His windshield blew out and his airbags were deployed but, thankfully, he wasn't hurt. After he took care of the insurance and came home, he called my roommate to ask him to take him to the hospital because he thought he might have whiplash. So, my roommate drove him to the hospital and I tagged along. It was two hours before he saw a doctor.

During the wait, my roommate and I read some magazines and then I started watching the fish in the tank. It was kind of sad. All the fish were just kind of floating around without a purpose. They weren't active at all. Some were just popping in and out of a hole, others were swimming in circles, and the clown fish were just sitting in the anemone. There just was no point to their being there. They simply existed.

I started thinking about life. Sometimes, life gets dull and we feel like the fish with no purpose. I'd hate to think that the point of life is simply to exist. It has no meaning. I wondered what makes my life special and different from these fish. What makes life meaningful and bearable? I'd say it's the relationships that we make that makes life worthwhile. It's when I live for others that I feel like I'm truly living. Knowing I made a significant difference in another's life is a lot more comforting than not. That's why I'm determined to help as many people as I can.

Incidently, Jory came out with a neckbrace and two prescriptions for Valium and something else. Turns out he had cervical something and muscle strain. Maybe that's basically what whiplash is? I don't know but it didn't sound too serious. Thank goodness he came out of that wreck with nothing more than that.

Sweetheart, you're fine. Mediocre people do acceptional things
all the time.

No comments: