Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Crossroads

I'm not so sure what I want to do with my life anymore. Until now, I was dead set on majoring in electrical engineering and minoring in music so I can work with music technology. Frankly, I wanted to do this because the high pay really appaled to me. This may seem shallow but I come from a family where money was tight. My dad is a single parent and had to work to support me and my grandmother and I want to be able to treat them well once I begin my career. I feel an obligation to repay my parents for being able to deal with my selfish self despite money being tight. So money is an important factor for me when choosing my major.

The problem with this is that I want to be able to do something useful with my life. I look around and see so many problems in the world. I want to be able to make a difference instead of just sit in a lab all day and play with speakers. I don't want to just think of my own little world. I want to be someone with influence, maybe like a teacher or something, but, like I said, money is important as well.

I need to either convince myself that money is not as important or I need to find a career where I will be satisfied and have a decent salary. The latter is unlikely. What am I going to do? I can either sell out or try to make a difference. The "correct" answer is obvious but not so easy to choose.

No comments: