Thursday, January 10, 2008

Let's all go green

*Gosh dang it, it's doing it again. The thing where the lines don't show up between the paragraphs.*

It didn't snow today, thank goodness, but it was still cold. Today, I went to my EC EN 493R class for the first time. It's a new student seminar for the electrical and computer engineering program. We were talking about big developments in the past decades. In the 70's, the big thing was getting someone on the moon. In the 80's, it was the development of the computer, in the 90's it was the internet. This decade, the big thing are portable devices like cell phones and mp3 players.
Then, the question of what the next big thing might be came up. Nearly everyone suggested that robotics and integration would be it, integration meaning less work for us and more automated functions. Surprisingly, no one mentioned clean energy. Apparently, no one in my class really listened to Al Gore.
In my opinion, the next wave is going to be all about green energy. If I remember correctly, Honda has already come out with a hydrogen car. As these kinds of cars get cheaper, people are going to choose them over the cars we have now, and there are government incentives like the all-access thing for hybrids. I think it's just a smart business move to start going green and our country is big on business. Let's all start investing in green research.
Plus, people like to believe they're doing something that matters so if they are given a choice where the green alternative doesn't cost much more, guess which one they'll choose? For example, my mom's dry cleaning business has gone completely green and gets more business than any other dry cleaners despite the fact that my mom's place is more expensive.
I'm getting tired. I'm not very happy with my writing for this post but I'm tired and half my brain is trying to watch Law & Order.
No lyrics tonight. Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO GREEN!!! YAY!!!